This Whetstone is:
- Non Soaking - Splash and Go
- Medium Cutting - Great for most steels, slows down with high alloy steels
- Hard Wearing - This stone dishes very slowly
- Low priced - Great for starting out!
A 1000 grit stone is the stone you will use most of the time. If your edge does not have any microchips, you can start with this stone when sharpening.
Being splash and go has to be the most important feature of a 1000 grit stone since it is used most frequently. Save yourself 10 mins of soaking time, every time, with this stone!
How to use:
Splash the whetstone with water, do not soak it.
- Add water if the stone starts to feel dry
- Begin sharpening your knife in sections, do not stay in 1 section for too long.
- Polishing stones do not raise a burr that is easily felt, check progress by observing how polished the edge is.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Complete the sharpening process using an edge trailing stoke on the whetstone (stropping).
Results to Expect:
The edge will easily cut paper using a "slicing" motion, but will not "push-cut" paper. This edge is usable for 95% of kitchen tasks.
You may proceed to a leather strop after sharpening to achieve a razorsharp edge.
If your edge is sharp in some areas but not in others, check that you have deburred consistently throughout the edge. Also, make sure you have a consistent sharpening angle throughout the length of the blade.
You may have microchips on the edge if your edge cannot achieve sharpness at specific points on the edge. You may use a 400 grit stone to remove these microchips.
Dimensions: 200 x 70 x 30mm
Weight: 894g approx
This whetstone ships from our warehouse in Singapore, for local deliveries it takes 2 days to arrive.