THIS WHETSTONE IS:
- Soaking - Soak for at least 5 minutes before use
- Slow Cutting - Handles low to medium alloy steels just fine, not suitable for harder steels
- Medium Wearing - This stone dishes fairly slowly with softer steel (slower than KW-65)
- Low priced - Great for starting out!
This should be your very first whetstone when starting out! Its not too expensive, and can handle any steel up to VG10. The tactile feedback is good and you can easily find the correct sharpening angle (even when using it for the first time!)
With this whetstone we recommend sharpening once or twice a week, depending on how frequently you use your knives.
How to use:
- Soak the stone in water for about 5 minutes.
- Splash stone with water whenever it feels dry.
- Start with the 1000 grit side first.
- Begin sharpening your knife in sections, do not stay in 1 section for too long.
- Check each section and ensure a consistent burr has developed before switching sides.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Deburr your knife by using an edge trailing stoke on the whetstone (stropping).
- Check for any burr remaining and deburr section by section until you have a sharp edge.
- Repeat with the 6000 grit side
Results to Expect:
If your sharpening angle is 15 degrees and below per side, your knife should be able to push-cut paper. This edge is usable for 98% of kitchen tasks.
You may proceed to a leather strop after sharpening to achieve a razorsharp edge.
If your edge is sharp in some areas but not in others, check that you have deburred consistently throughout the edge. Also, make sure you have a consistent sharpening angle throughout the length of the blade.
Dimensions: 180 x 60 x 30mm
This whetstone ships from our warehouse in Singapore, for local deliveries it takes 2 days to arrive.