This Whetstone is:
- Soaking - Soak for at least 5 minutes before use
- Fast Cutting - Great for hard, high alloy steels and softer steels alike
- Velvety Smooth - This stone has a pleasant tactile feel when sharpening
- Reasonably Priced
This is the best stone for those who enjoy the experience and ritual of sharpening their knives. It has a very pleasant tactile feedback and when used with the included nagura, it creates a slurry which makes the stone extra buttery smooth! The final finish is relatively refined and exactly what you expect from a quality 1000 grit ceramic whetstone.
How to use:
- Soak the stone in water for 5 to 10 minutes
- Using the included nagura, work the top surface of the stone until a white slurry is formed
- If the slurry feels too thick, add water a small amount at a time, taking care not to wash the slurry off
- Begin sharpening your knife in sections, do not stay in 1 section for too long.
- Check each section and ensure a consistent burr has developed before switching sides.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Deburr your knife by using an edge trailing stoke on the whetstone (stropping).
- Check for any burr remaining and deburr section by section until you have a sharp edge.
Results to Expect:
If your edge is sharpened to 15 degrees per side or lower, it should cut paper just by "pushing", without the need for a "slicing" motion. For 99% of kitchen tasks this is sufficient!
It will also shave, but it wont be a comfortable shave. The edge will not be refined enough to cut a freestanding piece of paper. In order to acheive a sharper edge you may follow up the sharpening with a leather strop.
If your edge is sharp in some areas but not in others, check that you have deburred consistently throughout the edge. Also, make sure you have a consistent sharpening angle throughout the length of the blade.
You may have microchips on the edge if your edge cannot achieve sharpness at specific points on the edge. You may use a 400 grit stone to remove these microchips.
Dimensions: 205 x 73 x 29mm
This whetstone ships from our warehouse in Singapore, for local deliveries it takes 2 days to arrive.