Atoma 140, 400 & 1200
Atoma 140, 400 & 1200
This Whetstone/ Sharpening Plate is:
- Non Soaking - Splash and Go
- Extremely Fast Cutting - Best for hard, high-alloy steels
- Hard Wearing - This diamond plate does not dish but loses its grit very slowly over time
- Versatile - Can be used to both flatten stones and fix chips on your blades
Diamond sharpening plates usually wear out over time as the electroplated diamond particles are sloughed off with use.
The diamond particles on the Atoma are arranged in a 3D grid pattern which almost gives the plate multiple layers of diamond particles, increasing its usable life. This sharpening plate seems to outlast the competition by 2 to 4 times.
How to use:
- Wet the surface of the diamond plate, the plate will not absorb water
- Begin sharpening your knife in sections, do not stay in 1 section for too long.
- Check each section and ensure a consistent burr has developed before switching sides.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Deburr your knife by using an edge trailing stoke on the whetstone (stropping).
- Check for any burr remaining and deburr section by section until you have a sharp edge.
Results to Expect:
The Atoma 140 is typically only used for repairing broken tips and major chips to the blade. You'll have to follow this up with a 400 grit stone before your blade can be used.
Typically a 400 grit sharpening stone should be used to set a primary bevel for your blade before moving on to a 1000 grit stone. However, if you were to test the sharpness of the blade on a paper, you'll find the 400 grit edge can actually cut through paper quite well with a "slicing" motion. For rough kitchen work this is good enough.
You may proceed to a leather strop immediately after a 400 grit sharpening to achieve a razorsharp edge.
The edge will easily cut paper using a "slicing" motion, but will not "push-cut" paper. This edge is usable for 95% of kitchen tasks.
You may proceed to a leather strop after sharpening to achieve a razorsharp edge.
If your edge is sharp in some areas but not in others, check that you have deburred consistently throughout the edge. Also, make sure you have a consistent sharpening angle throughout the length of the blade.
Dimensions: 21cm x 7.5cm x 1.1cm
This whetstone ships from our warehouse in Singapore, for local deliveries it takes 2 days to arrive.
Note: We attach the aluminum backing plate ourselves, this saves us approximately $10 in costs which we pass on to you!