This Whetstone is:
- Non Soaking - Splash and Go
- Fast Cutting - Great for hard, high alloy steels or softer steels alike
- Hard Wearing - This stone dishes very slowly
- Reasonably Priced
This is currently our favourite 1000 grit whetstone. It cuts faster than some of our cheaper 400 grit whetstones and leaves a refined "toothy" edge that can handle any kitchen task. This stone is very hard and gives the feeling of using a natural whetstone when sharpening (as opposed to a synthetic one). In fact, this whetstone itself is a blend of a natural stone with a synthetic binder.
For a one step sharpening setup, this is the stone for the job.
How to use:
- Wet the surface of the sharpening stone.
- Allow water to saturate surface of the stone (1 min approx.).
- Splash stone with water whenever it feels dry.
- Begin sharpening your knife in sections, do not stay in 1 section for too long.
- Check each section and ensure a consistent burr has developed before switching sides.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Deburr your knife by using an edge trailing stoke on the whetstone (stropping).
- Check for any burr remaining and deburr section by section until you have a sharp edge.
Results to Expect:
If your edge is sharpened to 15 degrees per side or lower, it should cut paper just by "pushing", without the need for a "slicing" motion. For 99% of kitchen tasks this is sufficient!
It will also shave, but it wont be a comfortable shave. The edge will not be refined enough to cut a freestanding piece of paper. In order to acheive a sharper edge you may follow up the sharpening with a leather strop.
If your edge is sharp in some areas but not in others, check that you have deburred consistently throughout the edge. Also, make sure you have a consistent sharpening angle throughout the length of the blade.
You may have microchips on the edge if your edge cannot achieve sharpness at specific points on the edge. You may use a 400 grit stone to remove these microchips.
Dimensions: 72 x 210 x 25mm
This whetstone ships from our warehouse in Singapore, for local deliveries it takes 2 days to arrive.